Sunday, November 17, 2013

Cat Cakes: Lisa Frank Inspired


Cat Cakes are back!!!

If you were a young girl growing up in the early 90's, you might remember school supplies and Valentines Day cards that were covered in designs by Lisa Frank.  For those unfamiliar with the brand, think of psychedelic scenes consisting of technicolour animals.  A young Mila Kunis was in their ad campaigns and it should also be noted that the designs were not just sported by trendy little girls.

I have some friends who understand my nostalgic fascination with Lisa Frank and they have been known to surprise me with colouring books and stickers from the brand. As a token of my appreciation, I made them a Lisa Frank-inspired cat cake for their joint birthday.

The Lisa Frank cat was a lemon cake (a little sour puss!) topped with a cream cheese icing. I could not find the flaky cream cheese icing recipe that I used for the Arthur Cat Cake.  This was too bad because it was great for piping.  The icing recipe I did use turned out to be fairly wet but ultimately I was able to get the basic design I wanted. I can't forget to mention that in typical Lisa Frank fashion, this cat cake was full of rainbows on the inside!!!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment